Hello year 4! Today in science we will make progress by considering living things and how they ADAPT to the habitats they live in. We will also think about the effects of changes to these habitats and the effect this can have on animal and plant life.
BRONZE: First watch the video and read the information about the arctic fox. How do you think this animal has adapted to the arctic environment?
Now write a short paragraph explaining how the arctic fox has adapted to survive in it’s natural habitat.
I would like the following children to use the template below to write their paragraph: Absi, Qasim, Muhammad, Ayomide, Abdirahman, Abubaker, Archi and Bijan.
Everybody else: Please use the video, text and key words box to help you with your paragraph.
Key words: camouflage, survive, reduce heat loss, thick fur, footpads, midwinter, minus 50 degrees, sensitive hearing
SILVER: Here is some information about deserts and rainforests and the animals that live there.
1) Choose 1 animal from one of these habitats to draw. Then label the animal with adaptations it has made to survive in it’s environment.
2) Lots of animals depend on eating small insects that burrow in the desert sand. Imagine that climate change caused these species of insects to die out. What impact do you think this would have on other animals in the food chain?
3) How do you think deforestation would affect the animals of the rainforest ecosystem?
GOLD: Watch the video about BIODIVERSITY and answer the 4 questions below.
1) What is biodiversity?
2) Match each example of biodiversity to the reason we need it to help us thrive: for example, a and 2.
3) Name three species of animal that are now endangered due to biodiversity loss.
4) What do you think we can do to save animals from extinction?