This half term we are thinking about the communities we belong to. There are lots of amazing groups that do fantastic work to support the people in the local community. This lesson we will explore some of these places and groups and learn how we can be involved!
This is Foleshill Community Centre. They have partnered with a charity ‘Feeding Britain’ to create a ‘social supermarket’. This is where local families who are struggling to afford enough food to feed their families can go to buy food at a much lower price. All the food is donated by local businesses and charities. This is a fantastic example of communities working together to support vulnerable people.
Other things Foleshill Community centre provides:
-Summer clubs for children, with cooking, art and sport activities
-They are building a community garden
-Community meetings and social events
-Free health and money advice to support adults
TASK 1: Foleshill Community Centre is has just opened up again last year and is starting some exciting new projects… Perhaps in the future, our school might get a chance to work with them. Answer the questions to explore how we could be involved:
1) What do you think of the ‘social supermarket’?
2) Have you ever been to the community centre? Would you like to?
3) What activities and services for children do you think would be a good idea?
4) How does a place like a community centre bring communities together?
TASK 2: COMPETITION. I would like us to design a piece of artwork for Foleshill Community Centre! Our artwork could go in the community garden or inside the building itself. I will collect your designs and when we return to school we can make the winning three designs and donate them to the centre!
YOUR DESIGN MUST INCLUDE:
– the words ‘Foleshill’ and ‘Community’
– show the very best things about living in the Foleshill Community (you could research some facts about Foleshill’s History)
– be colourful and welcoming for the people that visit the centre
– include the British values
I have added some community art work photos below to give you some ideas. GOOD LUCK!
I would like you to take your time over your design- so you will have until May 20th to complete them! Please complete your design on paper and then send a photo of it to: