We have been learning about The Little Red Hen. In the story the Red Hen does all of the work. To make her feel better we decided to bake some bread stick. I have put the recipe below you you would like to try at home. If you do make sure you tell us.
100g plain white flour
50g Cheddar cheese, grated
Teaspoon of Mustard
- Preheat oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6.
- put flour into a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the cheese into the flour mixture.
- Using your hands, mix to form a smooth dough, adding mustard to help bind the mixture together.
- Roll into cylinders.
- Place on the baking tray and bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- You may like to brush the cheese sticks with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking.
- Straws? Why not make circles, squares or even the letters of the alphabet?
Can you describe how they tasted?