Christopher Columbus and the exploration of the Bahamas.
Year 3 White have been exploring the Bahamas as part of”around the world’ week. Part of their learning is to explore the links between the Bahamas and Europe. Christopher Columbus was an Italian explorer of the seas, who discovered many countries during the middle ages.
I would like the children to read their text about Christopher Columbus, and answer the following questions about his life.
- When was Christopher Columbus born?
- What is he best known for?
- Who already lived in America?
- 4. How did Christopher Columbus become interested in ships and exploration?
- What problems did Columbus face as he travelled across the globe?
- Name two ships that Columbus sailed on.
- Why did kings give money to explorers to discover new countries? What did they hope to gain?
- How do you think the Native Americans felt when the European ships landed?
- When did Columbus first land in the Bahamas?