Using your knowledge and skills, read and solve these word problems. Remember to read the question carefully.
Use RUCSAC to help you.
Read, Underline, Calculate, Solve, Answer, Check.
- A carpenter has a plank of wood 3 meters long. She cut it into 2 pieces. What length is each piece of wood? Write your answer in meters (m) and centimeters (cm).
- A piece of wood is 5m long. A joiner cuts off 170cm. How long is the wood now? Write your answer in cm
- An athlete runs 3000m in a race. After 1.2km she stops. How far has she left to go?
- Nidhi cycled 2.5km. She stopped for a rest and a drink then cycled a further 5000m. How far did she cycle in total? Write your answer in kilometers and meters.
- A jar has 2 litres (l) of jam. Mrs Tyrrell uses 547ml to make some jam tarts. How much is left? Write your answer in litres and millilitres.
- If I got up at 7:15 and left the house at 8:30, how long did it take me to get washed, dressed and have breakfast? Write your answer in hours and minutes.
1 kilometer (km) = 1000 meters (m) 1 meter = 100 centimeters 1 litre (l) = 1000 millilitres (ml) 1 hour = 60 minutes