This week in SMSC year 5 children have been developing their understanding of rights and responsibilities.
Children learnt about the human rights.
All human beings are entitled to:
- Freedom from discrimination
- Freedom from Slavery
- Freedom from torture
- Treated equally in the law
- Equal protection from the law
- Right to select government
- Right to security
- Right to work and workers rights
- Responsibilities to your community
- Fair trial
- Right to privacy
- Right to nationality
- Right to move within your own country
- Right to claim asylum in others
- Right to own property
- Right to religious freedom
- Right to freedom of speech
Which of these rights is most important to you and why?
What is the difference between a right and a responsibility?
What responsibilities do you have?
Why was the human rights act created?
In our lesson we looked at the issue of slavery and how it is still happening in the UK today.
How does this make you feel?
We spoke about William Wilberforce and his role in the abolition of slavery.
What can you tell me about William Wilberforce?