Good Morning Year 5!
Today, you are going to learn the story of Theseus and the Minotaur, recap how to write a newspaper article and write a newspaper article about the story.
Comment: In your comment write your headline and orientation (first paragraph with who, what, where, when and why).
Watch the video at least 2 times, and make notes. You should focus on the part where Theseus decides to go and why, then where he defeats the Minotaur and who he has promised to marry.
You can also read the story here:
Now you need to recap the key features of a newspaper article. On the BBC website watch the video and complete Activity 1. DO NOT DO THEIR ACTIVITY 2 AS IT IS NOT ABOUT THESEUS AND THE MINOTAUR.
Things to remember when writing your own newspaper article:
- Make your headline short and snappy.
- In the first sentence sum up what the story is about.
- In your first paragraph answer the who, what, where, when why questions.
- Write your report in the third person and the past tense.
- Split your newspaper report up into paragraphs to help the reader clearly understand the information.
- If you use quotes to make your report more interesting, don’t forget to use speech marks!
- Use a photo with a caption to give the reader more information.
- Fill your newspaper report with both facts and opinions. Facts give the reader all of the information they need by using the 5 Ws.
Now it is your turn to complete a newspaper article based on Theseus and the Minotaur. You need to log in to Purple Mash and type it up on there.
Here is a word mat and an example text to help.
Hint: You are writing from the perspective of someone in Athens, Theseus’s home land. As a reporter you won’t have seen what happened in Crete, but you will have heard about it.
GD: Can you change the name of the paper to ‘The Daily Crete’ and write the story from their perspectivethursday-2
WRITE YOUR HEAD LINE AND ORIENTATION IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!