Continuing from the work last Monday and Tuesday, we are going to develop our descriptive writing skills. We will be using the following fighting/war scenes from Avengers: Endgame to write a setting description. Use your work from last week to help you as some of the language can be adapted.
Activity 1 – Create descriptive phrases for the above fighting scenes. You can use the below examples and create your own phrases:
- Our harnesses were chinking and dinging under the boiling sky.
- Our swords were clinking and clashing under the churning sky.
- Our chain armour was jingling and tinkling under the turbulent, cellar-black sky.
- Our axes were clattering and clanking into their wooden shields under the roiling, doom-laden sky.
- Our weapons were clanging and clangorous under the seething, spite-filled sky.
Here are some other examples to describe the senses and the setting during the battle:
1 The sky was profane-black. (Creating atmosphere)
2 Our cold hands gripped our cold, steel swords. (Repetition)
3 The wind whipped at our faces. (Alliteration)
4 We looked at the sea of monsters that surrounded us. (Metaphor)
5 Their spears glinted wickedly. We were afraid. (Using a personal response)
6 Their feet stamped as they roared up at us. (Onomatopoeia)