School SEND Information Report

We are a fully inclusive mainstream school and we strive to ensure that all pupils achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs). This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEND, in order that they can realise their full potential. It may not list every skill, resource and technique we employ in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils.

The Coventry Local Offer website has information about the services that are available.

1. The kinds of special educational needs for which provision is made at the schoolDo you have children with SEND in your school?What kinds of SEND do those children have?We are a mainstream school and the majority of our pupils are expected to reach age-related expectations. A small number of our pupils do have special educational needs. Children are identified as having SEND when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions, resources etc. we normally put in place do not enable improvement. We have specific plans and pupil profiles which help support children’s development and speed up their progress. Typically, children with SEND in our school have difficulties with speaking and language, learning generally (especially reading and/or writing), social or emotional development, and sensory difficulties with sight or hearing.
2. Information in relation to mainstream schools about the school’s policies for the identification and assessment of pupils with SENDHow do you know if a pupil has SEND?How will I know if my child is receiving SEND support?Our class teachers closely monitor the progress made by all the children and ask advice from the SENCo as soon as they have concerns about any pupil. The SENCo helps class teachers to plan activities such as small group work or special programmes to help the child. If these activities don’t help the child to make good progress, the SENCo might suggest other programmes or temporary additional support, or ask for advice or assessment from an external specialist service. If the child still does not make good progress the SENCo and class teacher will meet with parents/carers and together agree that additional SEND support will be put in place.As soon as your child’s SEND has been identified we will contact you and invite you to come into school to discuss plans to help him or her make better progress.
3. Information about the school’s policies for making provision for pupils with SEND whether or not pupils have EHC plansWhere can I find information about the school SEND Policy?Our SEND Policy will give you the information you need about how we make provision for all pupils with SEND.   {link} If you would like to discuss our SEND provision or find out more, please contact  our SENCo, Angela Masters.
3a. How the school evaluates the effectiveness of its provision for such pupilsHow do you make sure that the SEND support is helping pupils make better progress? How will I know that my child is making progress?Vigorous assessment and tracking processes undertaken by our SENCo, this is linked to information on expected levels and progress for each year group.Information is always available to parents about their child’s progress regularly through liaisons with the class teachers and formally at termly meetings We also track progress against IEPs (Individual Education Plans) and targets set by outside agencies.
3b. The school’s arrangements for assessing and reviewing the progress of pupils with special educational needsHow do you check and review the progress made by pupils with SEND? How will I be involved in those reviews? Who else will be there?Termly meetings will take place for parents of pupils with the class teacher. Other agencies, our SENCo or other staff in school may also attend these meetings. Parents may be given reports in advance and parents can contact the SENDIASS (SEND Information, Advice and Support Service) formally Parent Partnership,  for advice.
3c. The school’s approach to teaching pupils with SENDHow do your teachers help pupils with learning difficulties or disabilities to learn, including what they learn? How can I find out more about what my child is learning at the moment?The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in his or her class. All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Your child teacher/s will put in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child. Your child’s teacher will also put in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task. All children in school receive this. Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on his or her progress to monitor if your child has gaps in his or her understanding/learning and needs some extra support in order to close the gap between your child and their peers. He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress. These group activities might be led by either a teacher or a trained teaching assistant working to plans made by the class teacher. Your child’s class teacher will give you more information about what the class is learning at the moment and how he/she is helping your child to make good progress.   Click here to view our curriculum map
3d. How the school adapts the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SENDHow have you made the school buildings and site safe and welcoming for pupils with SEN or disabilities?Our vibrant school is accessible by all pupils. We have bright and inspiring classrooms, a range of modern technology including sound fields, a swimming pool and many benches and unique areas such as an adventure playground, MUGA, Mini Golf Course, all weather pitch and Science Pod.
3e. Additional support for learning that is available to pupils with SENDIs there any extra support available to help pupils with SEND with their learning? How will I know if my child is getting extra support?We have an intervention team in school providing extra support for children with a wide range of needs including SEND. These members of staff are deployed by our SENCo. Class teachers will inform you of any extra support your child is receiving. We also have outside agency support in some areas and all classes have a full time LSA to support with any specialist provision.
3f. How the school enables pupils with SEND to engage in the activities of the school (including physical activities) together with children who do not have SENDWhat social, before and after school and other activities are available for pupils with SEND? How can my child and I find out about these activities?We have a range of free afterschool clubs at Broad Heath School and these clubs are accessible for specific year groups. We also have a free breakfast club which is accessible by all pupils.
3g. Support that is available for improving the emotional, mental and social development of pupils with SENDHow does your school support pupils’ emotional and social development?For children with specific social, mental or emotional health difficulties we work with outside agencies such as Educational Psychology Service and CAMHS. We have in-house systems led by a very experienced pastoral team consisting of Mrs Raja-Khan, Mrs Rullay, Mrs Janjua and Mrs Jahangir. – FAO Mrs Raja-Khan or call on 02476689558.
4. In relation to mainstream schools, the name and contact details of the SEN CoordinatorWho should I contact if I want to find out more about how the school supports pupils with SEND?We have a SENco in school; Angela Masters. Laura Donnelly has worked at the school for over 17 years and has been the school SENco Both members of staff can be contacted through the main office. – FAO Angela Masters / SENco 02476689558
5. Information about the expertise and training of staff in relation to children and young people with SEND and how specialist expertise will be securedHow are the adults in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training have they had?The school has a school improvement plan that includes identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as autism, dyslexia, etc. Whole staff training to share knowledge, strategies and experience & ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND. Teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from SEMH and L or medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans. If you would like to hear about current or past training undertaken by school staff, please speak to Mrs Masters.The SENCos and teacher work closely with specialists from external support services that may provide advice or direct support as appropriate.
6. Information about how equipment and facilities to support children with SEND will be securedWhat happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?It is the school’s duty to provide auxiliary aids and services. LA provides specialist equipment such as wheelchairs /standing frames etc when prescribed by a relevant health specialist.
7. The arrangements for consulting parents of children with SEN about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child.How will I be involved with planning for and supporting my child’s learning?Who will help me to support him/her at home?We have termly meetings with class teachers to review children’s learning and plan future support. You may be set specialist work to complete at home with your children to support them in achieving their targets. Mrs Raja-Khan supports parents to support their children and runs regularly workshops and targeted support. She can be contacted on 02476689558 or at FAO Mrs Raja-Khan
8. The arrangements for consulting young people with SEND about, and involving them in, their education.How is my child involved in his /her own learning and decisions made about his /her education?ALL children at Broad Heath are involved in their own learning through regular pupil interviews, school council, involvement in reviews, teacher feedback and dialogue and self-assessment.
9. Any arrangements made by the governing body relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with SEND concerning the provision made at the school.Who should I contact if I’m not happy with my child’s learning and / or progress?Your first step should be to make a complaint directly to your child’s class teacher or SENCo. If your complaint isn’t resolved by the teacher or SENCo you can then ask for a meeting with the Deputy Head as per our complaints policy. Contact FAO SLT for more details    
10. How the governing body involves other bodies, including health and social services bodies, LA support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with SEND and in supporting the families of such pupils.Who else provides services in school for children with SEN or disabilities?How can my family get support from these services?We work with a range of agencies including; Sensory Support Service, Complex Communication Team, Speech and Language, Educational Psychologist, SEMH and L, Integrated Primary Mental Health and CAMHS. These services can be accessed through referrals with Mrs Masters or the Pastoral Team. All of these services do or could work directly with parents/families should they need support.
11. The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEN, including those for arrangements made in accordance with clause 32.Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEN or disabilities?Contact details of Coventry SENDIASS formally Parent Partnership Service   Click for SENDIASS Service
12. The school’s arrangements for supporting pupils with SEN in a transfer between phases of education or in preparation for adulthood and independent living.How will you help my child make successful move into the next class or secondary school or other move or transition.We share information between schools when children are transferred to move to their next level of education. We ensure there is additional support available for pupils with SEND to help them to make successful transitions, especially at secondary transfer or to another school. We will meet with the children and parents where necessary to ensure a smooth transition.
13. Information on where the LA’s local offer is published.Where can I find out about other services that might be available for our family and my child?The Coventry Local Offer website has information about the services that are available.   Click here to go to and view the Coventry Local Offer.