1) On what date did Michael first see Africa?
2) What does Michael learn about basking sharks?
3) Why wasn’t Michael allowed to keep watch on days 1 and 2?
4) How do Michael’s feelings change during the chapter?
5) Michael describes his family as “mad as hatters”. What does he mean?
6) What effect does the last sentence have on you?
7) What is the purpose of the chapter?
8) Where in the world do you think Michael is?
Create a scrap book showing his journey.
Draw a world map outline and annotate the dates and what Michael saw along the way.