Year Three are studying stories with familiar settings during the Autumn term. Read this familiar setting, then answer the questions below.
The BFG – By Roald Dahl
- Where is the story set?
- What time of day is it? How do you know?
- Name one adjective the author has used here.
- Describe how you would feel if you were in the dormitory at night.
- What does ‘No cars went by on the street’ tell you?
- Why do you think Sophie is still awake? Use your inference skills!
- Name a simile that has been used here, and explain why it is effective.
Re-write this setting description using alternative similes and adjectives. How can you make this piece more effective? How can you capture the interest of the reader?